We are able to offer you Hepatitis B vaccination. This vaccine prevents you from being infected with Hepatitis B.
You can get infected with hepatitis B if you have contact with an infected person’s blood or other body fluids during sexual contact. You are at a higher risk of hepatitis B and may therefore consider vaccination if you:
- travel to high-risk countries
- change your sexual partners frequently
- inject drugs or have a partner who injects drugs
- close family and sexual partners of someone with hepatitis B
- are a man who has sex with men
- work somewhere that places them at risk of contact with blood or body fluids, such as nurses, prison staff, dentists, cleaners and laboratory staff
What does hepatitis B immunisation involve?
For full protection, you will need three injections of hepatitis B vaccine over four to six months. Then you will need a blood test to see if they have responded to the vaccine. Five year boosters are recommended for anyone thought to be at continuing risk of infection.
How safe is the hepatitis B vaccine?
The hepatitis B vaccine is very safe and other than some redness and soreness at the site of the injection, side effects from it are rare.
Emergency hepatitis B vaccination.
If you’ve been exposed to the Hepatitis B virus and have not been vaccinated before, you should seek medical advice as you may benefit from the Hepatitis B vaccine if it is within 72 hours of exposure.
Cost of vaccination & consultation: £85 per dose